Villars-Fontaine’s name comes from a gallo-roman « villa », probably in Meuilley (village nearby). Villars means « away from the villa ». The second part of the name is explained par the number of springs and fountains in the village : about thirty.
The « Land of Villars » was the property of Lords of Vergy who gave a part to the collegial chapter of Saint Denis in Vergy to provide incomes for canons. The other part stayed to Dukes of Burgundy, successors of Dukes of Vergy. So dukes and canons developed the vineyard
In 1617, the collegial chapter of Saint Denis had to sell the lord’s domain of Villars which became the property of members of Parliament. The village owns to the parish of Meuilley . There was a chapel, probably at the place of the actual chapel of the castle (private).
First vineyard in Villars has certainely been planted around year 1000. In 1830, Villars ‘s wines were more expensive than wines of the region, proof ot their quality.
During the 1870’s war, Villars-Fontaine has been the place of violents fights. A memorial is erected to show the place where the french artillery put prussian army in check.
The war of 1914/1918 has left its mark on the village.
In 1940, the village has been occuped by german army during a few weeks. The group of members of Resistance hid in the Forest of Mantuan overlooking the village, before joining the members of Resistance of Arcenant. The village has been liberated on 9th September 1944, by the army of De Lattre de Tassigny. A few hours after, there was violent fight at the entrance of Nuits-Saint-Georges.
In 19th century, a quarry has been opened in the village to exploit the chalky basin of « Stone of Comblanchien ».