The village dates certainly from gallo-roman period.
Since few century Boncourt-le-Bois has a agricultural and wine activity. Boncourt was a rich domain noteworthy by Dukes of Burgundy.
In XVth century, La Berchère Castle has been built. Even if it has been removed in XVIIIth century, it kept its medival aspect.
During the 1870’s war, Boncourt-le-Bois has been occupied : a part of houses has been
plundered and burnt. La Berchère Castle was used as headquarters of Prussian Command.
The battle field of battle of 18th December 1870 was located from the castle to Nuits-Saint-Georges, where is nowadays the aerodrome.
The castle has been occupied also durang the Second World War.